Thursday 6 October 2011

Ramble #4: The Audition.. to die a 1000 deaths!

{EAV_BLOG_VER:2643ff586e3209a5}

Ah yes... the dreaded audition. Some actors I know breakout into a cold sweat just by the mere mention.

Over the past 38 years that I have been in the biz, I have certainly lost count of how many auditions I have attended. It would now have to be in the top hundreds.

Now, I can only comment on the audition process here in Australia but I'm sure it's not that different all around the world.

The Cattle Call
Glad to say I haven't been involved in one of these for decades+ but newbies to the biz... don't worry, after all you have to start somewhere. Sitting in the foyer, reception, antiroom with 50 to 100 other actors all going for the same part can be very daunting. The room full of either the gushing polite, the solitarily quiet or the bombasticly boasting about their last role. No matter which, they all have one thought in common... 'Let it be me & not you!'

The Theatre (Theater) Audition
The most civilised of all auditions. Usually depending on the play, you have to prepare two short pieces. One drama & one comedy... some times one Shakespeare or classical. Always have these ready as your set pieces. Fully rehearsed and 'Owned by you' meaning you have the character, the moves, the motivation all set in concrete. These audition are usually in the theatre with you on stage and the director in the shadows of the house.. yes, just like in the movies! Depending on the director but this is a very gentle type of audition with plenty of time to calm down and relax into your pieces. I love these!

The TV/Film Audition
Not as civilised usually and can be a bit sterile. Once again depending on the director but they are usually on a tight schedule, unless you have been specifically requested to audition... this is such a buzz the first couple of times 'They asked for ME! The auditions also are based on a script you have been sent, if you are lucky. I have done many, especially TV commercials, which I will talk about next, where I have had to learn the piece in about 20 minutes at the audition.

The TV Commercial
As I said, hopefully you have been sent the script. These days it's a breeze. It's sent to you from your agent or the casting agent via email. When I started you had to trek all the way to your agent to pick it up. TV commercial auditions are less about your acting skills and more about: Right time, right place, right face. Anyone can get a TV commercial. Getting the second, third and so-on is the trick!


Audition Tips.

1. Try not to be too nervous but some nerves keep you honest.

2. Dress in character (especially TV comercials) I get 98% of the commercials I audition for because of this.

3. Show your personality and the 'REAL' you during the pre-talk with the director, casting agent etc.

4. Once you have done the audition.. forget about it. Don't worry if you got the part. Don't sit by the phone. Don't ring your agent every 5 minutes. NEVER ring the casting agent or director. I have found when I do this I get the part. When I do the above.. it's the death nell.

Hope some of this helps. Remember this is through my experience. You don't have to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment