Tuesday 30 August 2011

Ramble #1: What you see is all you get

So here I am. I have a blog. I don't even know if these are in vouge anymore and I don't mean the magazine. Why do I have a blog? Good question. I guess I just wanted somewhere to write without structure. Without having to think about it. Ah see! You thought this was going to be a travel blog about a french guy rambling the hills and biways. Well it's not. It's just me rambling my thoughts out.

You won't be getting a daily account of my life but you will get pieces of my life as we ramble on when I feel the need to throw my life out there. You won't get all about me all at once either. That you can piece together as we ramble.

So, I sign up for this blog made easier since I already had a gmail account. Really getting tired of having to register for everything. Oh I know I can use the automatic fill-in form thingo but even that you have to spend time in setting up. BUT of course to get the blog I had to... yes that's right... fill in info!

Hey while I think of it. Do you see how I put the 3 dots to emphise a pause in the sentence above, Funny story here. I have been doing that for a long time. Don't know when it started in my writings... Oh yes.... fact number one about me ... I'm a writer but of what? I digress. Anyway, the dots. As I was saying, Don't know when it started in my writings but it was years ago. Then about 10 years ago or so I was watching a Doco on the famous American journalist, Walter Winchell. And low and behold. That is exactly how he wrote his column in the New York times. Well that blew me away. I know I did not learn it in school. And really, it's not acceptable in writings. Interesting isn't it?

There you go, that was a ramble. I must warn you if you re going to take on reading these blogs, my mind goes at a 1000 miles an hour. And I can jump from one thing to another and back again without missing a beat. So try and keep up.

So here it is I have the blog in front of me I choose simple design, thinking I'll make it real cool later. Then when I see it I think, hang on. This is not about design. This is about content. No matter how far off the track it gets. So what you see at the moment is it. The Name and a bit of a ramble at the top. Not even going to fill in the About Me. Done that too many times. You will just have to get the 'about me' through reading the rambles.

Not even going to play with the html although I certainly know how to do that. Been a webdesigner for over 12 years now. Look! fact #2 about me. I'm self taught. Write my own html from scratch. do not use design software. Learnt to write html by reading the source of 100's of wepages and studying them. The story of the day it all became clear is amazing. I will save that for another ramble... if I remember. When I first started designing. There was this huge announcement that the web had just reached one million pages! Not websites... pages. Hate to think how many pages are out there now.

Well that will do for the first ramble. More just a set up ramble. Don't really know if anyone will ever read them. Not really the point. But if you are... goodonya and good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Bep, you are a bit of a sucker, still writing HTML by hand. I learned how to write HTML myself too by viewing source codes of websites back in 1997 (what a nerd!) so that I could make a Michael Jackson site.

    I was still writing HTML up until about 2 years ago when CSS5 and php4 started becoming necessary for a fully functional site. Just recently a friend of mine was doing the same... you should look at Dreamweaver, its a really good program.

    Looking forward to more blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lovely Jess... welcome aboard.

    Had Dreamweaver installed for years. I think it's the 2nd or 3rd edition. Played with it once. Same with photoshop.

    After all this time the shine has sorta dulled on my enthusiasm for webdesign. I still do updates of exsisting and front ends of new but don't go chase any. I farm out backend and the rest. To the young who have the time to keep up-to-date

    Got another direction at the moment or should I say the original direction to follow before it's too late.

    See ya in the funny papers xxx

    ReplyDelete